Azium injection (dexamethasone) Solution is a synthetic analogue of prednisolone, having similar but more potent anti-inflammatory therapeutic action and diversified hormonal and metabolic effects. Modification of the basic corticoid structure as achieved in AZIUM Solution offers enhanced anti-inflammatory effect compared to older corticosteroids. The dosage of AZIUM Solution required is markedly lower than that of prednisone and prednisolone.
AZIUM Solution is not species-specific; however, the veterinarian should read the sections on INDICATIONS, DOSAGE, SIDE EFFECTS, CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS, and WARNINGS before this drug is used.
AZIUM Solution is intended for intravenous or intramuscular administration. Each mL contains 2 mg dexamethasone, 500 mg polyethylene glycol 400, 9 mg benzyl alcohol, 1.8 mg methylparaben and 0.2 mg propylparaben as preservatives, 4.75% alcohol, HCl to adjust pH to approximately 4.9, and water for injection q.s.
Brand Name: Azium, Voren
Available in 0.25 mg, 0.50 mg, 0.75 mg, 1 mg, 1.5 mg, 2 mg, 4 mg and 6 mg tablets; oral solution; several eye drop formulations
Uses of this Medication
Dexamethasone is a member of the glucocorticoid class of hormones. This means they are steroids but, unlike the anabolic steroids that we hear about regarding sports medicine, these are catabolic steroids. Instead of building the body up, they are designed to break down stored resources (fats, sugars and proteins) so that they may be used as fuels in times of stress. Cortisone would be an example of a related hormone with which most people are familiar, though cortisone (more correctly called cortisol) is a natural hormone produced by the body’s adrenal glands, whereas dexamethasone is synthetic. Dilar Plus 20 mg
In most cases, we do not use glucocorticoids for their influences on glucose and protein metabolism; we use them because in higher doses they are broadly anti-inflammatory. Their uses fit into several groups:
- Anti-inflammatory – especially for joint pain and itchy skin.
- Immune-suppression – treatment of conditions where the immune system is destructively hyperactive. Higher doses are required to actually suppress the immune system.
- Cancer chemotherapy – although usually prednisolone, another steroid, is favored for this use.
- Central nervous system disorders – usually after a disk episode to relieve swelling in the spinal cord.
- Blood calcium reduction – in medical conditions where blood calcium is dangerously high and treatment is needed to reduce levels to normal.
- Dexamethasone also has some use in
Dexamethasone is commonly used for several weeks or even months at a time to get a chronic process under control. Once the condition is controlled, it is important that the dose be tapered to the lowest effective dosing frequency once the condition is controlled. The reason for this is that body will perceive these hormones and not produce any of its own.